Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Resolution

When compiling my new years resolutions, I think of the things I want to change, improve, learn or just start doing (don't we all)? While coming up with my list I also like to also make a list of small steps to help me reach my goal so I don't get discouraged, quit and feel like I failed.

This year, I wanted to incorporate my children into my new years resolutions. One of my new years resolutions is expose my children to more of God's word by helping my children memorize scripture. When I was young, my mom had an alphabetical book of scripture. So with every letter of the alphabet I had a verse that went with it.
For instance,
A: All we like sheep have gone astray.
B: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.
C: Children obey your parents.
You get the idea.

I decided that if 25 years later I can still remember those verses then what better way to teach my kiddos and help them keep God's Word in their hearts and minds. So, I found this book at the Tree of Life outlet while we were at the beach.

I'm excited to go through this book and seeing has how there are 26 letters in the alphabet that gives us two weeks for each letter. Rather a long time for each verse, but I figure if we miss a week, go on vacation or whatnot . . . 26 verses in one year is exciting to me. The only thing now is to figure out when we can be most consistent in going over our verses. I'm thinking before bed or at breakfast.
Have you made any resolutions that include your children? I'd love to hear your ideas. I might just have to steal a few ;)

PS - Tonight is the premiere of BIGGEST LOSER!!! If you are looking for motivation for your new years resolutions this is a great show to follow!



No comments:

 
Blog Design by April Showers